Monday, August 11, 2008

I Go Put A Punch On Your Nose O!

After my Master’s degree from K.U., I was fortunate enough to land a well paying job (by Kenyan standards). Unfortunately, there wasn’t a single day I was even mildly interested in the job. For me, it was a means to an end. And the end was to save enough money, boost my bank statement, and happily jump into the swelling brain drain flood. After four years of careful planning and saving, I had a bank statement that could impress any Western embassy in Nairobi. To get out, I applied for a Master’s degree in one of the European countries, got my student visa, jumped on the plane, and landed in Europe.

During my preparation to leave Kenya, I had cultivated contacts in the city I had chosen as my new home. I knew only one of the contacts at personal level. I got to know the others through the ‘a-friend-to-a-cousin-to-an-aunt’ informal type of networks. Months before my travel I called these guys almost on a daily basis and ran up a huge bill on my home phone – which I didn’t mind – for I had no intention of paying it anyway. My plans were to pay all the bills I would run abroad. My simple rule was: Once out, there is no back.

I noticed a certain change in attitude as soon as I informed my ‘buddies’ that I had acquired a visa and had already bought my air ticket. Suddenly, most of them didn’t want to answer my calls anymore. I left messages on their answering machines but never got a call back. Using the networks mentioned earlier, I was able to get the physical address of one of the guys who had seemed the friendliest. So, I packed a few Tuskers (having heard they were rare) jumped on the plane and was in Europe. Planning to give my new found ‘friend’ a surprise visit, I took a taxi to his ‘apartment’. Boy was he wide-eyed and amazed when he opened the door bell and found me outside wearing my big sheepish grin. A bit confused, he welcomed me coldly. There were about 8 others who lived in the same apartment. He had a small room which he shared with two of his relatives.

He gave me the rules of the game:

1.I had to find myself a job, but he was quick to add, the best job I could hope to find was as a cleaner. I could also raise a few buck collecting bottles on the streets and taking them to recycling machines, he added.

2.I had to find a place to stay really quick, but he added it was very difficult for a black to find one. Whites highly distrusted blacks. His advice was I should find a black who had been fortunate to get a room, and hope he was willing to sub-let a corner of his room to me.

3.The highest level of self-deceit, he informed me, was to think that I could use my Kenyan educational qualifications. These, he told me, were as good as toilet paper.

4.Don’t trust any Kenyans. Most Kenyans will make sure you get into problems and get shipped back to Shamakhokho on a one-way ticket. That, he said, was the cardinal rule.

I had three weeks before commencement of classes. During this time, I tried to make contacts and find myself a room. He told me not to bother about attending college. Every other Kenyan I met told me:

Hapa tumekuja kutafuta pesa bro – SIO kusoma. Kama ni masomo, rudi Kenya usome bwana! Hakuna Mkenya anasoma hapakwani wewe ni mjinga wa kutoka wapi uanze kufikiria kusoma? No wonder wasee wa Shamakhokho mnatomba kuku!

I soon got a cleaning job and quit after the first day. I tried collecting bottles but found the competition to be cut-throat. There were just too many bottle collectors. After quitting the cleaning job and the bottle-collecting enterprise, the Kenyan who had taken me in kicked me out for gross insubordination. I had made the unforgivable mistake of going out for a walk without asking for permission!

So I took bags and walked to the nearest train station. I didn't know where to go. Luckily, my ‘primitive’ social Kenyan side was still fresh in me. I tried to talk to people but they made such a diversion as soon as I said ‘Excuse me’, - I thought I must have looked out of place or something. Whenever I saw a fellow African and started approaching, they turned and sped away. Some brave ones sternly looked at my sheepish grin and extended hand and said:

‘Leave me alone o! Or I go put a punch on your nose o!’

Sometimes an African woman chanced by and rubbing my hands with excitement, I would widen my grin and be like:

‘Excuse me sister…’

‘Am NOT your SISTER o! Do you know my moda? I said do you know my MODA? Leave me alone o!’

To cut the long story short – I survived. And I finally got myself a job that I like very much. I did clean a bit as I settled down. But that isn't today's story. Today, I have a question, or rather a wonder: why do we Kenyans in the Diaspora hate each other so? Or did I just fall into the wrong crowd?

After my nightmare was over, in my early days in Europe, sometimes I would call home and my mother would be like,

‘Oh praise be to God Masinde – when did you get out of jail?

Apparently, a fellow caring 'Diasporian' had called ‘a-friend-to-a-cousin-of-an-aunt’ and said I was in jail for statutory rape. Other times, news in Shamakhokho were that I had become a criminal who specialized in mugging ‘illegals’ who couldn’t complain to the police or that I made my money as a homosexual prostitute.

I have talked with many Kenyans living in different parts of the world, and the story isn’t any different. Kenyans in the Diaspora are famous for selling out each other.

If every time you see a newly-arrived Kenyan, anger builds inside and you are like screaming in your mind:

I go put a punch on your nose o!’

think again. There is space for all of us in here. New arrivals don’t mean we’ll have to lose our place, and get shipped back to so that the new arrival can can find space?

Just a few cents from the Son of Shamakhokho.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

u got me bro with the Shamakhokho thing. lol

UrXlnc said...

oh my

its as funny as it is frightening as it is ashaming.

good one though. it takes a brave man to put that on paper

Anonymous said...

bado,
my ribs hurt lol
but i do agree that tunapenda kuchimbana sana. envy is the mother of all evil amongst diaspora kenyans. but it isn't so bad where am. plus the africans you met were Nigerians, no? they always seem to add 'o!' to each sentence.

nice funny post.

Vikii said...

"I go put a punch on your nose o!"--Funny, very funny.

Pole chali yangu jo.

Anonymous said...

r u the cute dude teaching at Reading? u funny... maybe u don't know it but the undergrad girls are love smitten.

ok if I 'go put a kiss on your cheeck o!?'

Anonymous said...

Bado,
"I go put a punch on your nose o!" that's a rib cracker.

Drop by jukwaa

Anonymous said...

Bado,
The start is always tough. I think I had smooth sailing because the guys who helped me integrate were very good christians. I can say I had a very nice time with them and am still very close to them. so, i do think you were unlucky and landed in the arms of the wrong crowd.

Anonymous said...

hope you paid back your telcom bills. your bill is causing the company lots of problems.

Kwale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NSIS said...

u kill me with the Nigerian slang. For really, did someone tell you that or u trying to sex it up?

give us more BUT NOT politics.

lol lol lol

Anonymous said...

Bado,
i know Shamakhokho. my mum hails from Steni Kisa. we are naibos o!

i think you r nuts. you made up the shamakhokho chicken lovers thing, right? coz it just ain't true!

Bado said...

just wanted to let u guys know i took on that mouthful of a title temporarily :d

Otherwise, I the blogger formerly known as Bado

Bado said...

doesn't fit, so i will cut it down over the weekend, maybe to just KING Bado or God Masinde's Prophet

Anonymous said...

Bado,

Good writing. I like the way you poke fun of yourself. Not many writers are bold enough to do that

Kwale said...

Nsis,

If you are looking for a politic free blog just come into mine.

Anonymous said...

Bado, will be popping around to laugh to the son of shamakhokho's wit. bet you ain't even a lunje :O

NSIS said...

kwale,
reason why am against politics is that silly kenyans who happen to be outside the country like to say nasty things about His Excellency Mwai Kibaki. I found that 200% unacceptable. will drop by your blog

Anonymous said...

Bado,
keep it coming bro. I imagined this tall, heavy set, Nigerian with blood-shot eyes throwing you the title while you grin and i laughed myself silly.

i've been a bit busy so I haven't had time to research into the new immigration tricks, but I'll do that and send u what I find.

Nice day/night (depending on where you are.

Anonymous said...

Bado,
Great stuff. LMAO.
Respectfully, here's a possible name:
Dini ya msambwa.

Proud Kikuyu Woman said...

Do you know my moda? Not sister!

Anonymous said...

Tya, Its a reminder for those who wish to come to Europe or other western countries that you have to have a complete plan of your trip and not imagine you will be extending a Kenyan village lifestyle here in Europe. You have to be self sustainable coz here life is HARD! Shavanga in Freiburg Germany