Monday, August 18, 2008

Rampant Blues

Love them or hate them, Chelsea Football Club has continued to silence critics. This is a revolution in the making; a truly efficient, talented and hardworking footballing unit.

Over the last five years, the Blues have accumulated more points than any other team in the English league. There has not been a corresponding credit though. It is not hard to figure out why.

The 2008/2009 season began yesterday with colour. As usual all eyes were on Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. You may wanna throw Tottenham Hotspurs in there if you dream. But the real war will definitely be United against Chelsea. My bet is on Chelsea not just winning it but winning it easily---probably in the fashion of Jose Mourinho’s first full season.

Portsmouth was mercilessly shredded today, but that’s not even important. What are important are the belief and the drive in this Chelsea side. And the depth of the squad. They have, undoubtedly, the best midfield in world football. Frank Lampard leads this department. He is assisted by Michael Essien, John Obi Mikel, Michael Ballack and new signing, Deco. If that is not awe then tell me what is.

The John Terry-inspired defence is not too shabby either. It is water-proof on any good day. On the attack department, Nicholas Anelka has, over the last few days, proven that if Didier Drogba is injured or just having a bad day in the office, he is willing to take over the operations of that department responsibly. A combination between the two in their best forms is even too good to imagine.

Which brings me to my prediction; they will not just win the Premier League, but also the Champions League. But I have been wrong before.

P.S; Long live Obafemi Martins and Shay Given.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anelka...mmmmh.. was he not the same guy chased out of Spain with guns for being hot-tempered? I still don't understand why the Brits can't run him out of Britain with sticks or stones. i am willing to cast the first stone ODM style if needed?

Kwale said...

Why can't you talk about your own league?
Gor Mahia, AFC Leopard etc. Thats why Kenya football is dead and buried.

Look at Egypt, their football league is competitive like that in Europe with big names and big money.

Anonymous said...

yeah, what really happened to Kenyan football? There used to be JJ Masiga, Motego, Ambani, the Isabwa bros? Is there anything to write about our home boys? I know some brag called Oliech. How is he doing?

Anonymous said...

Vikii, who do you bet to lift the Olympic gold. Argentina or Nigeria? My bet is on Argentina. I love Messi and hate Nigerians (except dead ones)

Vikii said...

Hahaha Kikuyu mbili, eti you only love the dead Nigerians?

I have actually not followed the Olympics that keenly, but I understand that Argentina humiliated Brazil and that's reason enough for me to wish them death. So I guess Nigeria will do for me this time round. Plus I hate Messi and his crazy Barca.